Wednesday 20 November 2013

Magazine Advert Reflection


Magazine advert reflection

My group and I each had to make a magazine advert that would fit the conventions of the genre, which in our case is Indie. We each tried to portray what we want our artists image to be like, this included making a background. Our target audience being 15-25 we had to make sure we made it appealing to suit this group of people. I took my research from other artists album covers. This gave me lots of inspiration as they encorporated many different conventions into one. Some of the album covers that gave me ideas were Justin Bieber as long as you love me, Bakonoba, Wretch 32 and Jessie Ware. These were all different as some of them were close up, shots from the side and also have pictures with guitars which we would encorporate in our music video. This has given me a bigger insight into what a good music album cover should be.
For my album cover i would like to make sure the guitar is a main prop as it is a conventional for alternative artists. I would also like a cover on the digipak to be a picture of Georgia from the side. I think this would be a nice image to use as its quiet a striking image.
This has given me a good start with the range of images i would like to add and how to photoshop them, it will also help me come up with other ideas to be in the digipak as they all have to be related. I would also like a guitar to be on the cd of the digipak this would look nice and also relates to the whole digipak and the artist representation, as we have a performance piece in the music video where she is playing her guitar.



I think my magazine advert is fairly conventional for my genre which is Indie, I have used a light blue for the title of the advert which complements the colour of Georgia's jacket. This also stands out to the audience which allows them to see the title clearly. I have used a background which has graffiti and posters stuck on to it, this follows the conventions for the Indie genre as it's quiet edgy. Georgia is pictured waist up, so we can see what outfit she is wearing. She's chosen some strong colours to wear which would allow the audience to perceive that she is a strong person. This makes her very relatable for some audience members. The typography that I have used stands out before the background. This allows it to be clear while members of the public are viewing the advert therefore making them away of who she is. The font is very strong which again follows the conventions for Indie artists and with the colours used for Georgia's clothing. This shows the audience she is a fashionable artist, therefore fits in with Dyers star theory. Although Georgia is not looking towards the camera we can still see her full face, this allows the audience to remember what she looks like if she ever does come up again throughout her career. Georgia also has a smile on her face which lets the audience know that she loves to make music, she seems like a very happy girl, who is enjoying her career. With this the target audience are more likely to appreciate her music and want to listen to it.

While preparing to make the advert, I practiced some designs on paper, these were very conventional ones, although the idea that stood out especially for me was a mid shot of Georgia like the one I've chosen as my final advert. If I was to do my magazine advert again, I would increase the amount of typography which would provide more information for the audience. I think the colour stands out but the font used needs to be made a bit more playful, therefore can attract the audience. 



Georgia's advert-




I think Georgia's advert has tied in very well with the codes and conventions of the Indie genre. She has involved the brick wall, with a different twist which allows a review to appear through the top. She also allows the artist to appear in full lenght where the audience can see more of her style and the clothes she wears, therefore can imagine what her songs would be like. The typography she has used is bold, we see lots of information which let's the audience know what she is debuting and when her album will be out. She has also recorded on the magazine advert the song which is in our music video, this is then believed by the audience to be her first single. Although the artist isn't seen smiling, if allows the audience to think that the album is a deep and emotional album, which is used in the Indie genre. 



Jenna's advert-






For our final magazine advert, we have chosen Drew's. My group and I believe his final product has the most Indie conventions throughout, it also relates to the digipak, which he created. We feel that his work will be able to get us the most marks and he has added information about the album to attract the audience and also conventions which suit the indie genre such as the brick wall which Georgia came up with. The background which Drew has used shows a naturalistic background, this ties into the conventions of the Indie genre, as there music videos and ancillary products are very natural and real. This also connotes the artist to be natural and real aswell, which would appeal to the audience when buying her music. The typography used for 'Georgia Ray' stands out. This allows the audience to see the artist and carry on reading the magazine advert. Both the digipak and the magazine advert use pieces of newspaper, this idea is very original and stands out although personally I don't think it follows the conventions through the magazine advert and of the genre. 


1 comment:

  1. This post is a little confusing and this is because you have started analysing and writing about a digipak, when this post is about the group advert.

    You have made some points on the individual designs, but i cannot see the images, which makes your analysis difficult to understand. Therefore, ensure that you have included the correct images, to follow the points that you have made.

    ReplyDelete